Welcome New & Returning Members! May 6 Icebreaker Potluck, Spring War Canoe, Safety Boat Training and So Much More…
Welcome to the club! It’s time to celebrate the new paddling season together at the annual Burloak Icebreaker potluck on Saturday, May 6. Our theme this year is ‘Happy 150th Canada!’ so put on some red and white and bring yourself, your family and your favourite Canadian main dish to share with your fellow members.
Our infamous dessert contest is on the menu too so explore your creative side and bring a dessert to wow the discerning taste buds of the National Team judges who will assess your masterpiece on theme, creativity and taste. Entry to the Icebreaker is $5 each and $20 per family. Doors open at 5:30 pm with dinner at 6:00 pm. Bring some extra cash for some delicious beverages and the 50/50 draw. Come early for the War Canoe Naming Ceremony at 4:30 pm. Our new Bear Mountain War Canoe will be named in honour of co-founder and lifetime member of Burloak Canoe Club, Bill Hersey. Bill was integral to the success of our club in the 1990s and helped to set a framework for excellence that we continue to benefit from today.
Other notable events taking place soon include:
1. Registration is ongoing for our numerous programs for all ages. Check out our Programs page for more details and links to register.
2. Our 4-week Spring War Canoe Challenge program for 12-14 year olds runs from May 15 to June 10, 2017. Find out more: Burloak Spring War Canoe Challenge
3. Safety Boat Driver Training sessions are being held on May 6 and 7 at the Welland Flatwater International Centre – North Course. There are four (4) separate sessions available: May 6 9am-noon, May 6 1-5pm, May 7 9am-noon, May 7 1-5pm. To participate, you need your boating license in advance of the course. To register, please email Kevin Howard, WOD Regatta Safety Director. We need your help to keep our paddlers safe on the water this summer.
4. Ford Drive 4 UR Club: Stay tuned for more details and the date of this club fundraiser.
5. Canadian Open Ecology Volunteering: Mark your calendars to support your club and watch some great golf this summer from July 24-30, 2017.